ABOVE: Hiking in the Val d'Hérens, not far from the Grande Dixence Dam.
Switzerland Tourism reports that 2010 is the "Year of Hiking," and as compulsive pedestrians, we're happy to spread the word. On the Switzerland Tourism's Myswitzerland.com Web site, you'll find hiking-related items such as:
- Descriptions of Switzerland's "32 most enjoyable hikes";
- A "Switzerland Mobility" planning guide (with maps) that describes six national hiking routes, 57 regional routes, and (new for 2010) 143 local routes;
- A "Hiking Competition" for UK and U.S. residents that requires no actual hiking and offers a range of tempting prizes;
- Summer hiking (and biking) offers that can be enjoyed as weekend getaways or built into a longer Swiss vacation;
- A free "Swiss Hike App" for your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad;
- Links to maps, hiking-guidebook publishers, and other resources.
To get started on planning a walking trip in Switzerland during the country's "Year of Hiking," see the Hiking pages at Myswitzerland.com.